Chillier temperatures have already begun to make an appearance. With that, you’re likely ready to turn on your furnace, if you haven’t already, in order to keep your home toasty and warm. The natural gas-powered furnace is the most popular type of residential heating system in the country, and for good reason.
Natural gas is less expensive of a fuel source than electricity, plus it is convenient and burns cleanly so you don’t have to worry about emissions. They can also provide you with powerful levels of heat. There is, however, a downside to using natural gas to heat your home—and that is the threat of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
What Is Carbon Monoxide?
It is a tasteless, odorless, and colorless toxic gas that’s a byproduct of the combustion of natural gas. While furnaces today are built with much more safety features than those of the past, natural gas appliances of any kind still present a high potential danger. We don’t intend to scare you out of using a gas furnace, but rather encourage you to take the necessary steps to ensure that your home is protected against CO poisoning this winter.
The first step to doing this is by having carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home. These are inexpensive devices that run on batteries and can be found at any home improvement store. However, do keep in mind that they may not be able to detect trace amounts of CO, nor are they always 100% reliable.
This is why you should invest in carbon monoxide safety testing. Our professionals can come in and ensure that your home hasn’t been infiltrated by this dangerous gas. Additionally, we can provide exceptional maintenance on your furnace to make sure that it’s not likely to leak CO.
To schedule your Chicago, IL carbon monoxide safety testing appointment, contact Shavitz Heating and Air Conditioning today.