If you’ve been following our blog regularly, then you know we talk about maintenance a lot. This is due to how important of a service it is. Many homeowners think this is a sort of “luxury” service that people who can afford it get for their HVAC systems. But air conditioning maintenance in Park Ridge, IL is actually a necessity, for a number of reasons.
First off, it helps our technicians spot small problems with your cooling system before they grow into much larger ones. In turn, it helps your system operate smoother and last longer, which is great news for your wallet. But what actually happens during AC maintenance? What does this service provide?
Let the Pros Handle It
For the most part, maintenance tasks should only be conducted by the pros. However, there is one task you can, and should, do on your own: changing or cleaning the air filter. Our technicians will be happy to show you how to do this if you don’t already know.
Changing a clogged air filter improves airflow and AC performance overall so that your cooling system doesn’t have to work as hard to do its job. With that out of the way, your HVAC technicians can tackle the rest of your AC maintenance, which includes:
- Checking your condenser and evaporator coils to ensure they are unobstructed, clean, and able to both absorb and release heat.
- Checking on the refrigerant level to make sure it didn’t drop. A loss of refrigerant charge means that a leak has occurred somewhere and must be located and repaired.
- Checking on all the electric connections and tightening them where necessary.
- Cleaning the condensate pan and drain so the moisture from the evaporator coils doesn’t overflow them.
- Cleaning and lubricating the fan and compressor motors to prevent mechanical stress that can lead to these motors burning out.
- Checking that the thermostat is correctly reading the temperature, and recalibrating it if it’s not.
- Replacing or cleaning the air filter if needed (as we said, this is a task you should be doing on your own, every 1 to 3 months, but your HVAC technicians will check for this to be on the safe side).
Why Is This All So Important?
Air conditioner maintenance is essential to the longevity and functionality of your air conditioner. Without this service, you can find yourself facing a number of problems with your cooling system, such as:
- Inefficient Operation: Each year that you skip your AC maintenance appointment, your system’s efficiency level can drop about 5%. This means that in just a few years, your system will cost more to run than it should and will be a money waster.
- Increased Repair Needs: It’s estimated that around 85% of the repairs that a cooling system might need over its lifetime are actually avoidable if the system has routine maintenance. Cutting down on all these unnecessary repair needs means saving money and enjoying more consistent cooling performance.
- Shortened Lifespan: An air conditioner that isn’t properly maintained over the years will end up failing earlier than it otherwise would have. The average lifespan of an air conditioner, dependent on factors like the manufacturer and how well it was installed and serviced, is 10–15 years. One that often misses maintenance, however, might not even make it to half that age before requiring replacement.
For reliable HVAC maintenance services and more, contact Shavitz Heating and Air Conditioning today!