There are a lot of choices out there for home heating systems – so many that it can be confusing to determine which kind of system is best for your home. Working with a trained professional can go a long way toward helping you determine what system is right for you; additionally, understanding the basics of different systems is also helpful. Today we’re going to review boiler systems, and we’ll outline some of the benefits these systems can provide. If you have questions about the installation of a boiler in Park Ridge, IL, call Shavitz Heating and Air Conditioning and schedule an appointment with one of our trained experts.
How Does a Boiler Work?
Boilers are part of a hydronic heating system – a system that uses hot water (or the steam from hot water) to heat your home. The water is heated by a flame that is commonly fueled by either gas or oil (fuel can also be a solid fuel, like wood or wood pellets) via a heat exchanger. Once the water heats to the right temperature, it is pumped through a system of pipes that connect to the distribution outlets, which can be radiators, baseboard heaters or hydronic floor heating. When the water cools, it circulates back to the boiler for the next heating cycle.
What Are the Benefits of a Boiler?
Boilers offer a number of benefits which make them worth considering:
- Good energy efficiency – today’s boilers have become quite energy efficient – as high as 90% – making them an option for many homeowners.
- Even heating – the heat that emanates from a distribution outlet in a hydronic system is gradual: as such, the heat can feel more comfortable than forced hot air.
- No dust circulation – because a boiler system is a closed system, you don’t have to worry about circulating dust. This can be especially helpful for families with allergy sufferers.
- Quiet operation – the only noise a boiler makes is when it is heating up the water; otherwise, the distribution and heating are silent.
- Easy to zone – if you want to establish different heating zones in your household, this can be easily achieved with the piping system of a boiler.
Boilers have been around for a long time, which can sometimes give the impression that they may not be as good or advanced as other heating systems; this simply isn’t true. Boilers have benefited from advances in technology just as other heating systems, so if you are contemplating the installation of a new boiler for your home in Park Ridge IL, call Shavitz Heating and Air Conditioning today to schedule an appointment!