Over the years, there have been many news sources and safety organizations that have tested the effectiveness of store-bought carbon monoxide detectors. Most of us understand that with enough exposure, carbon monoxide is deadly. In the best case scenario, a CO leak can make a person slightly ill. But do too many homeowners blindly trust their CO detectors to work when they need them the most?
Put to the Test
Our local CBS 2’s Chris Martinez put 10 detectors to the test to discover that while three worked as advertised, 4 had a delayed response, and 3 did not work at all! What’s very important to note in these cases is that CO detectors must be replaced every 3–5 years, according to our local fire department—some tested were over 7 years old. Fortunately, newer models do have an alert built in that will tell you when it needs to be replaced.
Regular professional carbon monoxide testing is vital to discovering and fixing leaks from gas-powered appliances in your home. Typically, you can have this test conducted during your regular scheduled maintenance. Regardless of when you have this service done though, our professionals will check out your heating and air conditioning equipment to ensure it’s functioning as it should as you aren’t at a risk for leaks of any kind.
What Else Should You Know About Carbon Monoxide?
It’s imperative that you know the symptoms of CO poisoning, and if you suspect that you have been affected by this colorless, odorless gas then you should get outside in fresh air ASAP and call your local fire department to inspect. Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness. More serious effects include mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, and loss of consciousness.
To protect your family from the dangerous effects of carbon monoxide, be sure to schedule regular carbon monoxide safety testing for your home in the Chicago, IL area with Shavitz Heating and Air Conditioning.