Skip navigation

Chicagoland's Trusted Name in Heating & Cooling since 1904

Over 3000 5-Star Reviews

24/7 Service with Live Dispatchers



Shavitz Heating and Air Conditioning Blog

Furnace Replacement: How to Choose a New One

If it’s time to replace your older furnace, you have a lot of options to consider. Modern furnaces are much more efficient compared to furnaces that were installed 15 to 20 years ago. There are also more options available than there were in previous decades.

How do you know if you’re making the right decision? When you need a furnace replacement in Skokie, give our team a call. We can be there to help you every step of the way. In the meantime, you can keep reading to learn more about some of our tips for how to select a new furnace for your home.

Gas Vs. Electric

First, you want to consider whether you want an electric furnace or a gas-powered furnace. Electric furnaces tend to be cheaper for upfront installation, while gas furnaces cost more. But the opposite is true for month-to-month operations.

Gas furnaces tend to be cheaper for energy usage while electric furnaces cost more to operate every month. Of course, a lot depends on how you use your furnace and maintain it, and how you set the thermostat.

Efficiency Ratings

Even more important than selecting between gas and electric is looking at the anticipated energy efficiency. All heaters have AFUE ratings that tell you how efficiently energy gets used. The scale goes up to 98-99%, with the number representing a percentage of energy that gets used and actually goes toward heating. 

For example, a furnace with an AFUE rating of 85 means that 85% of the energy that gets used will translate directly into heat, with the remaining 15% of energy being lost during the heating process. To have a high-efficiency model, you need to select a unit with a rating of at least 90. The higher the rating, the more economical the unit will be to operate.

Sizing and Power

We don’t expect you to know how to calculate the size and power needed for a furnace in your home. That’s what we are here for. However, it is important to understand that selecting the right-sized furnace is perhaps the most important factor.

Having a furnace that is either too big or too small can be detrimental to heating your home. An incorrectly sized furnace will cost more to operate and take on more wear and tear.

Shavitz Heating and Air Conditioning is your trusted resource for Chicagoland area home services. Contact us today to schedule an appointment for furnace replacement!

Comments are closed.

Join our Mailing List for News and Offers: